I’ll just jump right in where I left off in my last post…

My team left the school after spending a couple of days at the school, and my little friend hugged me, in fact hung on me, not wanting to let go. I’m not sure how long it had been since he’d had anyone touch him, much less show him any affection. I asked our translator how to say “I love you” in Kinyarwandan so that I could tell him that, and we left.

On our last day in Rwanda, my team was planning on visiting some of the local co-ops to do some shopping before we went home. Over breakfast at our hotel that morning, we met a man from England who was also there doing mission work, visiting a school in the area. He invited us to do some shopping at the school, as they made handicrafts and had a shop where they sold them to earn money.

As we drove up to this school later, we saw the sign and the flood of children rushing out to greet us IMG_0150 2and realized that this was a school for the deaf and special needs. We went in and were hugged and welcomed by the children and were fortunate that the head of the foundation supporting the school, Elie, was there. We were given a tour of the school, the dorms, the workshop and the grounds and information about the work going on there.

I’d love to say that I was listening intently and learning about all that they had to offer, but I must admit that all I could think about was my little friend and whether or not he could come to school here.

As soo as Elie finished talking with the group I all but accosted him and started telling him about the situation, trying to making him understand that this boy needed his help, ready to beg if I had to. But that was totally unnecessary. Elie was completely on board with reaching out to this boy, all he needed was for me to point the way.

I named my little friend Isaiah, so that he’d have a name to start school with.

I can’t say enough about how wonderful this man, Elie is. I came home 2 days later to Texas, and worked from here to facilitate what was necessary to get Isaiah to school.

Elie did everything there. Everything. As Isaiah had no family, technically there was no one who had custody, which created legal complications. Elie took care of that. As well as evaluations and transportation and paperwork. He kept me up to date with what was going on throughout the process and I prayed. That was really my part, praying and support.SAM_1021

This is Isaiah shortly after he started school in January of 2014. I was so grateful to Elie for sending me this picture. He’s wearing clothes and not rags, shoes, he has a roof over his head every night and regular meals. He’s in a community that accepts him and will nurture him and teach him that God loves him and made him exactly who he is meant to be.

It’s been over a year now since Isaiah has started school, and I consider it a miracle that God gave us this chance meeting, Elie and myself. But the story still isn’t over, there was a development this week that gave me a whole new reason to praise the Lord and an awesome sense of joy.

I hate to have to continue this again, but the story is long…. I’ll finish next time 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s